Monday, May 6, 2013

Banana Oat Cakes

Banana Oat Cakes



This is one of my favourite breakfasts. There's something about Banana Oat cakes that I find very satisfying! I often feel like I could wrestle a bear after I eat them - such are the thoughts floating through my head in the wee hours of the morning.

These Oat Cakes are quite filling and an excellent source of energy, protein and fiber!  They're not exactly like a pancake -  they're quite dense and chewy, not fluffy.

As with most recipes, I adjust the quantity of each ingredient to suit my daily macronutrient needs. These oat cakes are also sturdy enough that you could make them the night before and warm them up for breakfast, or put them in a tupperware for an on the go snack! They're still quite good served cold :)

Today's version
1 Ripe Banana
3/4 Cup Oats (anything but steel cut)
3/4 Cup Egg Whites
Stevia and Cinnamon to taste

- Mash banana
- Mix ingredients together
- Cook as a regular pancake (in non-stick spray or coconut oil)

Some Additions:
- Flax meal added to batter
- Shredded coconut added to batter
- Topped with natural nut butter
- Chia seeds added to batter (and let batter sit over night and add about 3 TBSP water/liquid)
- Crushed walnuts added to batter
- Dark chocolate chips (for the kids or the 'Picky-Eater') or cacao nibs
- Dried fruit (raisons, dates, etc)
- Cottage cheese for more protein
- Tofu for more protein
- 1/2 Scoop of Vanilla whey protein for more protein
- Walden Farms pancake syrup
- Substitute with whole eggs for more fat (less protein)


1 comment: