Mom's Favourite Butternut Squash Soup
This is one of my favourite soups. In fact, I've been making it weekly! Sometimes I make large quantities and freeze it too. It's the perfect snack to have while you make dinner, or have a large portion and be completely satiated by the soup alone! Seriously! Full from soup!
When my mom comes to visit, I literally have to make this soup in mass quantities, because she lives off of it. I eyeball the seasoning, and rely a lot on my tastebuds for guidance. So be sure to taste test as you go!
1 Cup Cashews
2 boxes of broth (preferably low sodium and organic)
1 Large Squash
*Optional 1 Sweet Potato
2 generous scoops of Pea Protein
3 TBSP Minced Garlic
Seasoning: Sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, ginger, cinnamon
- Chop onion and apple (after coring)
- In a large pot, combine broth, apple, onion, cashews and minced garlic.
- Bring to boil, cover and reduce heat
- Preheat oven to 400
- Bake butternut squash and sweet potato until tender (I bake the squash whole and cut it once tender, it's much easier and bakes quicker!)
- Add a pinch of ginger and cinnamon to broth
- Season generously with pepper, garlic and onion powder (lots of pepper!)
*You may want to adjust the seasoning after blending*
- Once tender, remove seeds and peel the squash
- Add squash and sweet potato to broth
- Let simmer for 10 minutes
- reduce heat and stir in pea protein
- In a high powered blender (make sure its *heat safe!) blend soup
- Adjust seasoning to taste
- Top with Protein Croutons (recipe on the way)
*If your blender isn't heat safe, let the soup cool before blending.